A Dating Disaster

Dating in your twenty's is one of the most difficult things to do. At least I find it to be. The way it was to date decades ago has turned into a slew of one night stands, awful dates, no creativity, and terrible communication between two individuals! I am no stranger to the dating world. Sure I have had a few serious relationships here and there, but lets not forget some of the most terrible nights or weeks I spent spending time with certain guys. Allow me to share some of the funny, annoying, and heartbreaking stories of mine. Let me remind you that not all of these fellas ended up being boyfriends. Some were just dates and dear Lord, some were just big fat mistakes!


The Confused Runner
Lets go back to my very first date ever... I was 15 years old and crazy about this boy from another school whom I met while running track and cross country. He was taking me to a movie. I remember I wore this God awful, brown and gold glitter top with dark jeans and brown tie shoes and my majorette warm up jacket over top. I remember he held my hand during the movie. Afterwards he offered to take me to his friends birthday bonfire, and I agreed to go. That's where the drama came about. He took me to a party where the girl HE liked was at and left me alone where I knew no one and ignored me the whole time. On the drive home he actually yelled at me saying it was my fault and that I made him take me to the party.

I don't think I started off on the right foot with the dating world!...
 

THE First
A military boy that stole my teenage heart! He was a year or so older than me and new to the military. He and I said the "L" word pretty quickly. He sort of proposed marriage to me quickly. He accused me of cheating pretty quickly. Turns out he was the cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater! He married that poor girl 4 months after we split too! Ten years later, a divorced, dad of one, and re-engaged, I am so thankful that not only has he and I finally made our peace with one another and become friends, but that I didn't end up with him!

I may have loved him, but we're way better as friends!


The Wannabe Cop
When I was 24 I was hanging out with a guy who was in the police academy with one of my closest friends. He was tall, he was cute, he was immature as hell! He agreed to be my date to my cousins wedding, where he proceeded to walk away from me (and my family), as often as he could. He would go outside to smoke, up to the bar for numerous drink refills, to talk to a guy he knew. Not once did he actually hold a conversation with me. I ended up driving us to the bar after the reception because he had too much to drink. We walked into the bar where we were meeting my brother and sister-in-law and he walked away from me immediately and started grinding up on some girls. I gave him his keys and we left his ass at that bar and went elsewhere!
 
 Always take your best guy friend as your date. You'll have way more fun!!
 

The Computer Nerd
I was probably 22 when I met him when he briefly dated a friend of mine. Over a year later I asked him out one night to dinner. All of it was sweet. The whole 9 months together. It was a few weeks after my birthday that he told me he wasn't feeling the feelings anymore. My heart broke. I truly believe he was my first REAL love. The first one I thought, "I could settle down like this" about.
 
He was a great guy. He still is. It wasn't until recently that we spoke for the first time and saw one another and, for me, everything felt right, as in I had every ounce of closure that I needed. If it wasn't for him, I would not have had the motivation to go back to school and to move away.
 
 I should probably thank him for breaking my heart!
 
 
Cue the Dueling Banjos
So I tried the whole online dating thing very briefly. I met this guy, who in pictures and on paper, was quite fantastic. We met for dinner one night at a steakhouse and it turned out to be one of the most awkward dates to date, that I have ever been on! Just before we met for dinner he had request to be my Facebook friend...He had a ton of pictures with some girl all over his page. By a ton I mean every single picture was with her. No, I'm not exaggerating! So I shrugged it off and went to dinner. Where he proceeded to talk the entire time. I don't think I got a word in. Not one! Every story was involving his sister. So I went for it and asked him who the girl was in the pictures...Wait for it...His sister. It was like he had some weird fascination with her. I don't think I could get away from him fast enough!
 
Da na new new new new new new newwww (Banjos)
 
 
The Boss
Just 6 quick months after moving to Tennessee, I thought I had found the man I would have done anything to spend the rest of my life with. We worked together in retail and he happened to have been the man I worked under. Insert your own dirty pun here. We spent over a year, happily (or so I thought), together. He was a very good man to me. Obviously it ended for a reason though. Towards the end of the relationship things weren't so happy, pretty, and wonderful...at all. He became a completely different man than the one I knew and in the end it was my heart that was crushed. Looking back I can see that I'm better off having not ended up with him. Even though he was good to me, there's a man out there that God has lined up that will treat me even better!
 
It makes me feel much better when people ask now if he's gay. I do wonder!
 
 
My top 3 dates were guys that thought a little more outside the box. They are smart, creative, artistic, and just down to Earth guys...
 
 
The Star Gazer
This guy is extremely smart. Probably too smart for his own good I think! He took me, extremely late, one night to the lake. He pulled from the trunk of the car a huge comforter and blanket to sit on. He grabbed from the back seat 2 bottles of wine and we sat almost until the sun came up, just talking and getting to know each other while we watched a meteor shower. Unfortunately, for me, there just was not a connection but we still speak from time to time.
 
Well that one burned out pretty quickly!
 
 
The Latin Man
Sexy, athletic, talented, sweet, sweet man! If he did not live so far away...
 
I went to NYC with my mom a few summers back and this guy not only took me to dinner and dancing my last night in town, but he took me and my mom to dinner and a Yankee's game during the middle of the week we were visiting the city. The fact that he showed my Momma just as much respect and attention as he did me (not that way) shows me how truly amazing he really is! He is just a fun spirited guy that is so awesome to be around!
 
I would let him speak Spanish to me any day, all day!
 
 
The Music Man
The online dating world is to thank for this match made in musical Heaven! I went on a date with this guy who took me to Opry at the Ryman. I fell in love with it very quickly! He not only took me there but I came to find out that he played guitar and sang quite well too! While he was a very nice looking, nice guy. There was something about him that I couldn't put my finger on that I wasn't sure about...Needless to say, that was the only date. We hung out a few more times, nothing special, just pizza and hockey on tv. In fact, he turned me into a huge hockey fan and taught me about the sport!
 
If a man can sing AND play guitar, that's brownie points!
 
 
It's a shame not all guys have the creativity to plan fun and exciting dates anymore. It's dinner, movie, drinks. I feel like it's the same old boring things over and over again. At least my top 3 dates caught onto the fact that I love music, sports, dancing, and romance! I wonder if I'll ever find a guy that can completely top all of those!

As I go back and read what I've just written, I can't help but smile and laugh out loud a little bit. I have had some other experiences that were just silly, awful, sad, and weird! Some stories are just too long, some too graphic, and some too lame to even talk about.
 
I have endured some very sad heartache, but before I hurt I felt so much love. I'm the type of gal that wears her heart on her sleeve. When I feel I love someone, I say it. I don't hold back. I give my relationships my all.
 
"I want you to promise me something. If you love someone, you tell 'em. Even if you're scared that it's not the right thing. Even if you're scared it'll cause problems. Even if you're scared that it will burn your life to the ground. You say it. And you say it loud. And then you go from there." - Grey's Anatomy,  Mark Sloan
 
I suppose it's true you have to kiss quite a few frogs before you find a prince charming! Hopefully you haven't had as much bad luck, or as many frogs as me! I hope you all got a kick out of the mini stories of my dating disasters! What are some of the crazy things that you've encountered in your world of dating?
 
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip to End All Trips

Quote of My Day

Take a Ride with Me