I Don't Wanna Grow Up

Have you ever checked your credit score? 

Have you ever decided to stay in on a Saturday night with a married couple and their kid?

Is this what happens as we get older?

Saturday night my friend and I both decided to stay in and hang out with six year olds and she asks me, "What is 35 going to be like?"  I could only laugh. We're on the last leg of our twenties. In the final stretch now!

In the last few years I have really found myself making the "grown up" decisions to stay in on weekends, only have one glass of wine on a Friday night so my entire weekend isn't ruined by a massive hangover, or one of my faves, offering to watch the children of my coupled up friends so they can get out for a bit.

That doesn't mean I haven't done anything in the last few years. I still enjoy a good night out of the house with my friends, having too many drinks, and not worrying about going home to a crying baby!

Ahh, the life of a single twenty something!

Wait...What was I saying?...Oh yes, being an adult...

I was checking my credit score on Sunday night because I decided to be a big kid and really bring my finances where they need to be for a late twenty something. Yes, this means that my checking account should no longer be overdrawn or my credit cards maxed out!  Granted it's been since my early twenties since I've done that but still... First things first, I was quite proud of my score. Second, I officially felt like an adult checking credit karma to see how well I take care of my finances. Go me!

Saturday night I got caught up in the Pinterest world, pinning all the different ways I cannot wait to decorate my home for the holidays! Whether it's an apartment or house, I just find it funny that as I've gotten older I look forward to decorating rooms. I envision the big empty walls and the pictures and shelves I can't wait to hang.

Of course when on Pinterest, if pinning on an empty stomach, you can't help but pin all of the delicious looking snacks and meals that you find. I was finding some of the tastiest looking snacks that I am dying to host a little house party just so I can make! I never used to be like that. I used to think, "Beer, chips, music, I'm good to go!"...Now I think, "Wine, snacks, dessert, candles, music, gosh I'm old!"...I know, I know, I'm not!

Oh! Here's another thing...When did going to bed before 10pm become so appealing to me? I used to be able to stay up till 1 or 2am and wake up at 6:30-7am for work no problem! Now I'm in bed by 10pm fighting to keep my eyes open to text people. I'm that girl that falls asleep holding the phone up over her head and drops the phone and gets smacked in the face! No joke. I've done that so many times!

As much as someday I would love to have the whole shebang, you know, with the husband, kids, house, dogs, and all that? I'm more than happy right now focusing on my career (because it's finally progressing), and continuing to rebuild my happiness from the ground up. For now...

It must be said that this whole being a grown up thing is not easy. It has it's perks from time to time, but the majority of the time it's, what bill needs paid out of this check? Can I buy this shirt and still pay rent? Who's wedding is this weekend? Should I paint the living room this color? It sucks. It's just one decision after another! Sometimes the decisions get scary because they become life altering!

I'm a huge Sex and the City fan and as Carrie Bradshaw once said, "When you're young, your whole life is about the pursuit of fun. Then, you grow up and learn to be cautious. You could break a bone or a heart. You look before you leap and sometimes you don't leap at all because there's not always someone there to catch you. And in life, there's no safety net. When did it stop being fun and start being scary?"

I don't know about you, but I'm on this adulthood struggle bus. Full speed ahead to big kid land! Is anyone else riding with me?

Can I just say that the entire time I've written this post, I've sang the Toys R Us song in my head?

You might be too, now... You're welcome! 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip to End All Trips

Quote of My Day

Take a Ride with Me