Forever 27

Welcome to your late 20's my fellow 20 something! It's the time in our lives when we really decide to take a step back and look at what's ahead of us, what's behind us, but more importantly I think were forgetting about what's right in front of us. The right now. I think I've read about 10 different blogs about what you should do in your 20's to make your 30's fabulous. I'm sorry but you can't really tell someone what to do to make their life better. No two lives are the same. What I can do though, is tell you a bunch of the things that I've done in my 20's, things that I currently do at 27, and maybe you can get some insight on where you may want to go. It's not so much that you'd be following what I do but maybe I can be an example of what NOT to do in your 20's? However, if you find that some of the things I've done in my 20's was fun and interesting, because I do, go for it. Take the risk! Sometimes I can't believe that I did! 

I won't bore you with every little thing I did in my early 20's. Let me just say this, I dated the drug dealers, the liars, the cheaters, the physically abusive. I partied a lot. So much so that my mother was concerned I would become an alcoholic cause it runs in the family. I overcame a terrible depression and eating disorder. I dropped out of college for my second time and had numerous part time jobs. I traveled to places that I never thought I would ever imagine going to! I had a blood clot that nearly took my life and learned quickly that I needed to live, not just exist. I moved to Vegas and moved back to Ohio. I became a God mother and love every second I get to call him my God son! I rode the street bikes with my guy friends so often I had my own helmet. I took up ballroom dancing. I got a sister-in-law that is more like a real sister to me. I watched my mother battle breast cancer for the second time (she kicked cancers ass!!) Lastly, I made many of the friends that I call my bests today. Some I finally said goodbye to for toxic reasons and others because we just grew up and apart. I'll be the first to tell you though, girls are bitches!!! I am very lucky to have a handful of the not so bitchy as my bests. 

My nephew, London makes my life so so happy! He's 6 now and the light of my life!

My best friend, Dana. We met through mutual friends and have been snorting (laughing that is) happily together ever since!

My best guy friend, Anthony. My life is that much better with him in it!


At 24, I was dating this guy for almost a year and I was sure he was the one. He and I split a few weeks after my birthday, leaving me devastated. One of my girlfriends I met while working in baseball came with me to Canada for a weekend to get away. I remember that in all the sadness I felt, I had one of the best weekends of my 20's. A few months later, still trying to recover from the breakup I bought a new car and went from brunette to bleach blonde. I felt like a whole new me. I vacationed that summer with a best friend from high school and stayed with a great friend in Florida. I spent the majority of that year going out with friends and getting to know myself again!

Canada with Barbie! Thousands of miles separate us now but she makes me smile with a simple text!

Florida with Nicole! Best friends since junior high and still like a sister to me! 


For my 25th birthday I felt compelled to make it the best yet so I themed it my favorite color and went to Columbus with a bunch of friends. We went out to dinner and the bars decked out in pink and had a blast! I was in my second year for my associates degree and had my plans set for the big move to Tennessee. I then dated the poor guy who thought I was the one. I hate to say it, but as I look back now, dating him was just to pass the time until I moved away. I went back to Florida with a close college girlfriend that spring. I got my associates degree in business administration that summer.  For my graduation gift, my mom and I went to NYC for a week. Best trip ever!! I was in two of my best friends weddings (a week apart) just before my 26th. I'm so lucky to have those two girls in my life! 

Blonde hair don't care! 25th birthday

Florida with Corrine and Jen

My first college friend, Jessica, happens to be one of my bests. She came the day I finally graduated!

Me and my best friend, my Momma in NYC!

Maid of honor in my best friend, Bethany's wedding! My life without this girl would be nothing! We've been there for each other for everything!


Then I turned 26. I was in my God son's mother's wedding 2 days before my big move. When the day came  to leave I was ready. I had left once before and I felt like a failure going back. This time I wasn't going to let myself fail. I left home with a mix CD (yea I still have a ton of those bad boys) playing loud early in the morning filled with sappy and oh so happy songs to get me through the 8 hour drive. It took me a month once I got to my new home to find a job and since then I had been trying to get back to the job I love doing most. Working in a bank. It was hard to make friends because I knew no one moving down here. It's been a very lonely ride. 

Now 27 and a year and a half after my move I have finally landed my bank job (a month ago), landed the guy (who I truly believe to be my soul mate), I have made some pretty awesome friends and I'm so excited to see what the future holds! 

The love of my life. My soul mate. Jason. He's the most amazing thing that has ever come along this far in my life! He makes my days worth living. 


With this being the age so many people get married and have babies, I must say this, because I've caught myself lately really feeling this way. I had a bad case of "obsessive comparison disorder". Because I'm now at that age and the majority of my friends have husbands and babies, I felt like I should be doing the same thing. But the thing is, I dropped out of college twice and didn't get my degree till 25. It took me a while to mature in my 20's and be comfortable with who I was becoming. The last few weeks I have really been trying to realize that I still have time and years ahead of me to enjoy those things. For now, I am so over joyed to have the job I love, the man of my dreams, my supportive friends and family and my good health! 

If you take any advice from this post, let it be this, do not allow yourself to fall to comparisons. You make your life how you want it! Get up and do something if you find you're jealous of anyone. Live your life, don't just exist! Enjoy it!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip to End All Trips

Quote of My Day

Take a Ride with Me