Man in the Moon

When a chance to get away for a weekend arises I'm quick to jump in my car or hop on a plane to any destination that allows myself to feel like I'm really living my life to the fullest. On an evening flight to Memphis one Friday night I found myself on an unfilled flight with an empty seat next to me. I read my book that's quite capturing for a little while, but found myself staring out the window instead. 

I've always felt like my favorite time to fly was in the early morning. Because when I get to watch the sun rise from above the clouds, I feel as if I'm witnessing a more incredible sunrise than those below on land. It's mine. No one else I know gets to see the surreal beauty that I do. That night I stared at the moon though. Above orangish red hues fading into yellows and pinks that remind me of sunshine and bold colored flowers, on into blue sky surrounded by pillows of clouds, sat the moon shining so incredibly bright. And for a minute, I think maybe I've been wrong all along!

I forgot my headphones for this trip, which can really suck, you know? Makes me stuck in my own head and thoughts for the duration of my time in the air. I listened to a song all morning and afternoon on my ways to and from work on repeat that day. So I sat singing the song in my head over and over again... "I'm waiting to be saved by a tidal wave. Take me away t-t-t-take me away"... 

With the song ringing in my head, I find myself thinking of the purpose for my trip. How the support of one specific friend made all the difference in my heart. Her positivity made me feel like all risks were worth it, even when I forgot my knowledge of that fact. 

By the time my ears are popping and city lights are glowing down below, the sun has nearly gone away for good and at this point I'm blankly staring at blue sky with traces of clouds because the plane has shifted directions and the moon is no longer in sight. But just when I think my brief affair with the Man in the Moon has ended, my plane turns again to show me his bold yellow light peaking through turbulent clouds. It really is the little things in life that can make your world a better place and somehow traveling always reminds me of such tiny treasures! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip to End All Trips

Quote of My Day

Take a Ride with Me