Empowerment

If you look up the word empowerment in the dictionary you'll see the meaning to be "to give power or authority to; to enable or permit ".

Lately, with everything I have going on in my life, it doesn't take more than a few words from someone's mouth to get me down or put negative thoughts into my head. Months and many posts ago, I introduced y'all to a woman that I became friends with through blogging. We called this our bloggership. This is a woman who has a serious talent for writing that I look up to from all the way across the country. Thankfully, when I was given a handful of opportunities recently to write more than ever and to be treated like a writer, some people had opinions and not all of them were good.

We are our own worst critic right? I love writing, but I'm nowhere near perfect. I just enjoy doing it and hopefully I give a hint of entertainment at the same time. There's always that one word though that can creep into our heads as writers, as overthinkers, and it'll infest our mind with thoughts on whether we should even be doing what we're doing. Sadly, someone got to my friend. Her writing has been few and far between because of criticism. This woman built up my writing. While I've been doing this for 3 years, I still wasn't even sure that I could call myself a writer. The simple fact that she told me I was one in the best "pardon my french" kind of way, brought me so much courage to continue what I've been doing. She gave me words of wisdom from San Diego, that will only help me to entertain, reach, touch, and dear lord, empower you, my readers, more than I possibly and hopefully already have. But I couldn't just let that be our conversation. I had to give something back to a woman who truly inspires me to be better at what I do. My exact quote to her was this...

"Please write... you're a talented soul and letting anyone get to you and let you think otherwise should be a sin!"

I pray this helps her find her niche and recall that what she does inspires more than just me!

The above was all for a woman I don't know. Can you imagine what I could bring to the table for those I do? I've been working very hard lately to be more kind. To show that I can somehow make a difference. My goal is to be more selfless. So to do this I need to show my friends that I care about what they do just as much as they care about what I do. I'm sincerely trying. It seems that our day to day lives get in the way sometimes and we often forget that those closest to us need just as much encouragement as those across the country that we've never met.

This is what I feel life is about. What all women should be about. Empowerment. Find a way to reach out to someone, anyone. Make them feel good about who they are and what they do in their life. I don't even know Sarah to sit and have a gin and ginger with her, but I know the person she is and wants to be through her writing and who she makes me want to be as a writer. I can't thank her enough for encouraging me to brave my emotions and share my journey with y'all. All I can do now is take her advice, run as far as I can with it, and pray I turn out that much better for it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip to End All Trips

Quote of My Day

Take a Ride with Me