Escape

As much as I'm in love with watching my tv shows, playing on my computer, my iPad, my iPhone, and committing suicide with my social medias, I much prefer the good old days. You know, the ones with less technology. Before it completely destroyed us as interactive human beings. I have been saying for some time now that I would leave some of these things behind and just disconnect for a little while. And until last weekend I didn't think I would ever want to do this so badly. 

Saturday afternoon I took a friend with me to meet some other friends of mine at the lake. On the drive there it never occurred to me that I would lose cell phone service. As soon as we turned off the main road. BOOM! This not only unplugging me from the world, but my GPS. Luckily, my friends place at the lake was easy to find. We got right down to mingling with our friends and having a big old time. It was later that I realized the only reason my phone was even in my sight, let alone my hand, was for the sole purpose of taking dozens of pictures!

For the first time for as long as I can remember, I have been worried about being able to be reached, being able to reach someone in case of an emergency, checking Facebook, uploading pictures to Instagram, changing my twitter status, jotting down notes, setting reminders, and playing games, that I forgot how much fun and practically carefree life was before I had this thing permanently attached to my hand! All day Sunday the only reason I looked at my phone was for the time. I left the lake that night thinking what a great time I had connecting with people. Not just my girlfriend I took with me, but my other friends I had gone over a year without seeing.

This weekend I'm returning to the lake. This time, because of my mother's tendency to worry, I informed her of where I'd be, who I'd be with, and that I would be out of cell range. I said it with excitement and I think that alone may have worried her just knowing how much I enjoy my technology and social media. I think she may have thought this is a party weekend. Like get wasted kinda thing out on the boat, but with the way I've been feeling lately, drinking isn't my go to. 

I would rather sit in the sunshine and feel all the peacefulness around me! I would rather hear the splashing water, the birds chirping, (shoot, I'd even take buzzing of the bees even though I'm very allergic), friends laughing, and a little bit of music while I watch people swim, enjoy each other's company and witness one of the most beautiful sunsets I've gotten to experience in a while. 

Saturday night while the sun was going down, my friend turned to me and said, "You're about to see the most beautiful sunset of your life." They were absolutely right. With the hills surrounding the lake, the trees, and the lake itself all underneath the cotton candy colored sky... It was hard not to just stare at it! How can I not want to unplug and disconnect? 

Even though I feel so strongly about wanting to shut down for a little while, I'm not so sure that now is the time. Maybe someday soon, until then, I'll get to the lake as often as I can! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip to End All Trips

Quote of My Day

Take a Ride with Me