What was 2016?

Every year that passes by, we make these ludicrous resolutions that, a good majority of us, only stick to for the first 2-4 weeks of the year. I'm sometimes in that bulk. Go to the gym, quit smoking, drink less, cuss less, blah blah blah... We seem to forget it doesn't have to be a new year, or even a Monday, to start doing any of that. Granted, I don't plan to go to a gym, I don't smoke, I already drink way less than I used to, and lets face it, I curse like a sailor and I'm ok with it...damnit!

However, that's not exactly what this is all about. 2016 was a really fleeting year. Grown ups weren't joking when I was a kid, telling me that time speeds up and you won't know where the time went. This year was busy and full of life experiences. Allow me to tell you what this year really consisted of.

2016 was...

The year I got stood up by a man for the first time in about 7 years.

The year I was told I was selfish and actually to offense to it.

The year a celebrity, a reality tv show host, became president of the United States.

The year I completed choreography on 2 dances on my own.

The year I bought my first home.

The year we tried to bring back the family New Years Eve party.

The year I secretly fell in love with a man and didn't know who to hate more... me or him.

The year I watched my favorite baseball team go to the World Series and I was in attendance for game 7.

The year I turned 30.

The year I was proposed to by a Parisian man on a sidewalk an hour after meeting him.

The year I cried more than I did when I was a baby. (I swear this has to be true)

The year of vacations. I went on 5. (DC, FL, FL, TN, Vegas/Cali)

The year I almost ended a friendship because of other girls' negative influences.

The year I honestly considered that I wasn't meant to fall in love again and have a family.

The year of babies. I think in total a dozen perhaps? I can't make that up, all my friends are having them now. Some, their second baby!

The year of the most painful firsts... Learning to do everything without my mom.

The year we as a society completely lost our minds, and some friendships, over a presidential election or racial comments/arguments. (Not me though)

The year of hosting my first Friendsgiving.

The year I tried really hard to be a better person without making a resolution to do so...

I've really gotten irritated with trying to force myself to do things like work out, eat healthier, cuss less by making a swear jar, or whatever else there can be. Me? I just want to be happy and live my life. I really think that I've done that this year. 2016 is when I took back the life I nearly forgot I was fortunate enough to have before I left Ohio 4 years ago. It has been an insane 4 years. It's time to embrace the good again. So on into 2017, I'm resolution-less and ambitious in my findings of pure bliss.

Happy New Year Y'all!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip to End All Trips

Quote of My Day

Take a Ride with Me