Just Call Me 'Jilly Madison'

It is absolutely fantastic having weekends off. Sunday funday for me consists of laying in bed, munching on potato chips and binging on Lifetime movies and whatever else is on. This past Sunday I got to watch Billy Madison for probably the 40th time. I always get a good laugh out of it, but it really got my gears grinding about making a decision on whether or not I want to go back to school for a bachelors degree.

When you're in junior high and high school, grown ups are always talking about how important it is to get a good education, to work hard, and to go to college to score a great job in the real world. Had I known that they weren't just blowing smoke I would have really tried harder. Don't get me wrong, I love my job and what I do. So much so that I'm working towards moving up in my field. So much so that I'm considering going back to school to further my education.

{{{YIKES}}}

I was a C average student in high school. I thought I'd just breeze by, get into college and breeze by, get a job after graduation and breeze by. Boy, was I wrong! Some people say if they could go back in life knowing what they know now, they would go back and change things. Sure, that would make life easy and who doesn't want easy?

I have learned so many valuable lessons that someday I can teach my many, wonderful nephews, or my own children. I wouldn't go back and change how I did a thing. I am who I am, and I am damn proud of it! (Potty mouth and all) Some days I do in fact wish that I had done things differently though. Again, who doesn't want to hit the easy button on a daily basis?

I graduated with my associates degree in business administration in 2012...with honors...with a 3.7 GPA. At that point in my 25 years, I was a two times college drop out. For a while, I was embarrassed that all I had was an associates degree. I had to learn from an amazing friend with their PhD, that the fact that I went back to college for a third time, on my own expense, was a big deal and something to be very proud of. Therefore, go me!!

None of this goes without saying that I had an amazing support system of friends and family in the year and a half that I attended classes and worked hard at my education while maintaining a full time job, a social life that included not just my closest of friends, but one with a full time boyfriend too! How I kept any of my sanity is probably something I'll never know.

Though I did so well the final time I attended college, the first two times, not so much. The first time I was in college I was fresh out of high school and eager to move away from my parents, like any normal 17 or 18 year old kid. I was on the dance team, joined a sorority, and suffering from severe depression after my first semester. At the time I was diagnosed by a therapist as a depressed, insomniac, with bulimia and anorexia. It definitely did not help that I threw partying into the mix and at the time, drank too much. After my second year there, I made the brave decision to move home with my parents and get better.

Once I was living with my parents again, I transferred colleges and tried for two more years. For me, I just wasn't all there still and as a result, I didn't want to be there at all. I went to class when I had to and did the minimum. After my second year, I made the choice to quit and just work.

After a few years away from school, a move out to Las Vegas and back, and still trying to fully recover from the oceanic depth of a depression that I had unfortunately fallen into, it took me dating a guy when I was 23 that made me want to better myself. He was smart and educated and considering furthering his degree as well. While in the relationship I had put the plans in motion to go back to school. He really helped light a fire under my ass, because he and I split a week before I started school and it made me want to get good grades and move the hell out of Ohio... I did just that!

Fast forward two and a half years and here I am considering going back to college to get a bachelors degree. It may be one of the more intimidating things I've had to decide about for my future. With a full time career and a possible promotion well on its way, it's easy to get discouraged. I have a meeting with a local private college to see what they have to offer. I just want to make sure this is the right path for me to take and that it is fully my choice, not because someone in admissions really wants me to go there.

For now this is all still in the air...After all, I have until I'm 30 to make an official decision...Even then, it isn't a decision that's set in stone.

Are you a late twenty something that graduated later than your friends or are considering going back? I'd love to hear your feedback! Feel free to e-mail me and let me know your story or thoughts!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip to End All Trips

Quote of My Day

Take a Ride with Me